Monday, December 15, 2014

A day in the life

I live where ice builds on the inside of windows. Mother Nature doesn't approve of us having our heat, so, as condensation collects, the temperature of the glass freezes it. This happens inside bus windows and on my skylight, six feet above my fire. Some nights, my fire maintains enough warmth for me to sleep through until morning. Other times, I awaken, chilled, in the darkness, possibly 03:00, possibly 05:00, to build the fire anew.

The success level of the fire dictates how my day will start. A warm morning means that I don't have to throw two or three jackets on just to climb out of my sleeping bag. Some of my friends wake to find water-filled vessels frozen over in their sleeping quarters. Music is essential and something with a beat serves to jump-start my motivation. First, however, the fire must be paid devotion. I burn primarily coal these days, but – should wood be my sweet apothecary – then heat be thy poison, swiftly acting out its intended purpose.

A morning review of the online news generally accompanies my breakfast of eggs or bread. Distracting me from my meal, however, the shadows, like ravens passing overhead, speak of a victorious blaze. The natural illumination in my ger goes light, dark, then light again, and, shortly after, the drips of melting ice from my skylight onto the stove sizzle with the promise of coming warmth.

Bundling up (details on that later), I exit my ger, give some quick love to the hashaa puppy, and make the 10-minute walk to my school. Mongolian winter doesn't officially start until December 22nd, but I manage to arrive at work with frost on my mustache and eyelashes. Beauty tip: Frozen eyelashes give that morning sparkle when your eyes can't do it themselves.

The first half of my day at the school consists primarily of planning, as all my classes are technically after-school clubs. Not much to speak of there. I have noticed that the very accent that makes my English easier to understand by Europeans proves to be a challenge to Mongolian ears. While staying at a hostel last week in the capital, I spoke with a few Englishmen, an Italian, and a Washington resident, of which none believed I was from California based on my accent. It's a mystery.

Depending on what I get caught up doing during the morning and what time my afternoon sessions start, I get an hour or two for lunch, during which I have to walk home to keep my fire going, since it would be an icy place to return to after a full day away. This is the best time of the day to saw and chop wood. One of the major lessons that I will bring to next year's experience is that I should prepare as much wood as possible before December. While I could spend two hours sawing in a light long-sleeved shirt last month, it is now a struggle at -20 deg F, double-gloved and triple jacketed, to saw for even half an hour. Fingertips go numb from inactivity and iced breath saps my energy. And it's not yet winter.

As I look out at my class, I consider the appropriateness of their names in connection to our lesson topics. American names – though historically beset with meanings that are forgotten once the baby name book is closed – are often chosen based on popularity, ancestral connection, or the attractiveness of the spoken form. Mongolian names, however, are generally composed of words in everyday language, that speak of positive qualities. How fitting it is that my lesson on managing emotions has
Peaceful, Cheerful, and Happy participating and Wisdom Key, Aspiration, and My Physical Strength/Energy take part in discussions on leadership. Translated into English, these sound like names from the hippie era, but the Mongolian versions resound with strength and tradition. My coworkers' names translate to such things as Peaceful-Happiness, My Honest/Innocent One, Treasure-Ornament, Precious Flower, and Beautiful Mind. My name roughly translates to “Watching Twin Peaks”...

With me dressed in black and four layers deep, the dormitory students are laughing as I put my bandanna on to cover my mouth: the Stay-Puft Marshmallow ninja readies himself for the walk home. The moon has not yet risen, and the terrain – illuminated by my silver-tinted cellphone light – appears lunar in nature. Today's snow-dusting smooths the frozen rocks just enough to feel extraterrestrial in the glow. There are no lights out here, save the occasional car that passes by me. Along my trail home, I pop in at one of the delguurs (independent shops) in my district to purchase a few dirt-covered potatoes and a green bell pepper to get some color in my diet.

Tonight, the wind chill has won against my dying fire and I try to concentrate on writing while constantly turning to inspect my stove, hoping to see the blaze that will defrost my typing fingers. Wood heats faster than coal, but I keep my dwindling timber pile in mind, as well as the outside conditions that I'd have to face in the event of a shortage, so I throw another layer on myself and choose patience over exertion (I mean...um...wasting resources).

A meal and some time reading, writing, or movie-watching later, it's time to retire to the sleeping bag of survival. I shove coal into the stove with hopes that the chunks are large enough to simmer through the night. The lights are out and possibly I've dozed a bit, but my mind kicks off, processing ideas and plans, foregoing sleep in exchange for creativity. The availability of endless material to enrich my mind calls to me, and the debate between lying in darkness while working through thoughts and facing shrunken pupils in the glow of the monitor becomes moot.


You might think that this news is rather sad, but sometimes you just have to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment