Monday, September 22, 2014

Pride

I recently shared a photo of the second annual Mongolian Pride Parade, which consisted of about 20 young adults. The response to the post confirmed what I never had to question. I have a loving group of friends, many of which stand under the LGBT flag. These are my friends, my children, my family that I've collected over the years, without which I would be at a great loss. My parents never taught me that these were other people – love is love – and I wish that those who think that someone who cares for a person of the same gender somehow negatively impacts those around understood that it matters about as much as the pattern of socks that he's wearing. If anything, it's a positive effect on those nearby, for those who love and feel loved must surely be more inclined to be productive.

I asked this year's participants what the attitude of the public towards the LGBT population is here. The capital city, Ulaanbaatar, holds approximately half of the country's population, which is disproportionately young and is more progressive than the more rural regions. In general, most don't pay attention, but there are the occasional individuals looking for trouble. Last year, someone went into the gay bar and demanded that each person stand up and be punched. Fortunately, the owner of the establishment explained that these were paying customers and didn't have to be treated this way. The aggressor was asked to leave, but waited outside until he had the chance to beat someone up to the point of hospitalization. Charges were pressed and nothing happened. These days, the problem seems to be more with those in authority. Police officers will sometimes come in the bar looking for someone who might be making the smallest legal offense. As a club, the bar must legally have a bouncer, but because of the stigma attached to the LGBT community, they are finding it increasingly difficult to find bouncers/security guards who are willing to work their establishment. Really, these issues are no different than the ones we hear about happening in the United States.


As an ally, I can't stand directly under the LGBT flag, but I can surely help hold it up, be proud of those who are proud, and hold an open ear to those who must whisper.

No comments:

Post a Comment