Thursday, October 31, 2013

29-Oct: Find that fire / Illuminate your surroundings



"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men’s blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency. Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us.."
-Daniel Burnham

The term "inspiration" didn't mean much to me until the last few years. I guess I didn't think about it much. In the last year, however, its importance to my life exploded into something that is beginning to steer my path. Frankly, I'm excited about it!

Think of the teacher that got you so excited about a topic that you researched more than what the assignment called for. Think of the musician that drove you to want to learn to play that instrument. Think of the adults throughout your childhood that led by example and encouraged your explorations. The common factor with these involves passion. If you have lost interest in something, you probably have no chance of inspiring someone else concerning that topic: the burnout teacher who just shows up, the rock star that plays the same set, note for note, every night in exchange for a paycheck (Note: this is not meant towards those who must play a theatrical score or such).

A bit of advice last year from someone close taught me that one should surround himself with those who inspire. I have found this to be true, for it ignites a feedback loop of creativity, passion, and drive. In fact, I now count a thirst for knowledge as one of the most attractive factors for me. This isn't limited to book smarts, and includes anything beyond being content with the status quo. When presented by inspiring figures on all sides, all those involved can find new interests to pick up.

I have had the opportunity to inspire and it feels pretty satisfying. In working with foster youth, I know I didn't reach each one that I lived with, but I'm still involved with a couple of them. I sometimes ramble on about scientific topics and I'm always pleased when the listener encourages me to continue. Even some of my travels seem to be inspiring other to venture out a bit more. I bounced my current ideas off the person sitting next to me on one of my last flights and she wants to know more. She'd be willing to donate to the cause and shares my enthusiasm for the plan, so that's a good sign!

So, it's time to make plans. Plans with which I can inspire and hopefully lead others to inspire themselves. Plans -- big plans -- that may not succeed in their first incarnation, but will be a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment