Monday, October 28, 2013

27-Oct: Taipei rush

"Make use of your time, but don't let time use you."


Traveling can be tiring. I know that when I get somewhere new, I need to see something more than the inside of a hotel. Each trip is an opportunity to experience and explore, for never again will this exact set of circumstances occur. If you have the luxury of having an open schedule while abroad, it's quite lovely to wander the streets at a relaxed pace. However, with express trips (e.g. my 2.5 days in Taipei), that relaxation can be pushed aside by the wish to see as much as possible.

On my first day, I zigzagged through streets, often preferring side alleys to the motorcycle-infested roads. I found myself in parks filled with musicians, families, and cheer, and I discovered open markets, public art, and museums that weren't on the Mandarin map I had. My only limitation was to get back to the hotel at some point that night. It was wonderful.

My second day, in contrast, struck me with illness and lethargy, robbing me of the ability to explore. By the time I was up for getting outside, I had less than three hours before I was supposed to meet someone for dinner. Limitations in mind, I prioritized what I wanted to see, based much on walking distance. I could feel the drive in my pace and each new option of diversion that arose came with thoughts of time constraints. I still enjoyed myself, but I was late and pushed onward. I knew my friend wouldn't mind a little tardiness, but I like to be on time for myself.

The skies had darkened as I pressed forward. As I passed a glass-covered train station, my eyes picked up hues of purple and orange in the reflection. I had been so focused on getting back to the hotel that I had been oblivious to a magnificent sunset performing its dance behind me. Tunnel vision can rob you of the beauty around.

I stopped to watch the performance conclude.


No comments:

Post a Comment