Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Taco Smell" OR "Why Reeka?"

It's the halfway point in my drive and I find myself at the Yreka Taco Bell. I was here in December and there was a rank sewage smell (as opposed to pleasant sewage smells, I suppose) to the property. Fortunately, today seems odorless. As I walk inside, I watch as Holly, customer service rep extraordinaire, deals with a woman (I shall call her Dido) who lacks proper communication skills.
Dido: [points at a menu photo that has two items] I'll have one of those.
Holly: [obviously hating her job] Which one? There are two things there.
Dido: [points again] That one.
Meanwhile, an off-duty staff member walks in and tries to hand ten dollars over the counter to the manager. He rejects the offer.
Juturna: You earned it. You were right the other night. I ended up in jail.
Latinus: Seriously? Everything all right?
Juturna: I'm okay, but they got me for DUI.
Evander: All right! [high-fives Juturna across the counter] First one?
[Juturna walks away, but lifts two fingers in the air]
Evander: Psssshhhttt, that's nothing. [Lifts three fingers in the air]
[The three exit for a smoke break]
Is this life in Yreka? Is a person's coolness factor determined by the number of intoxicated driving sessions during which one gets caught?
No thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment